(4) For the swollen leg and the venous condition, another Christian lady kindly introduced us to Pycnogenol.
Pycnogenol is helpful for both, prevention of venous health problems, as well as for relieving symptoms of swollen legs.
The veins in our body return oxygen and nutrient depleted blood back to the heart.
Unlike arterial blood, which is actively transported by ejection from the heart, venous blood is passively transported by compression of veins along series of valves which allow movement only in one direction, leading to the heart.
Blood in veins of the lower legs have the longest distance to travel and experiences the greatest gravity counterforce. When vein valves do not totally withstand gravity force, blood will pool in veins of the lower limbs.
Veins may not withstand the pressure and fluid passes through vessel walls into tissue, which an affected individual experiences as swollen legs and feet.
Further to swellings, typical symptoms occurring may be itching skin of the legs and feet, aching, cramping or tiredness of legs, skin discoloration, and appearance of new varicose veins.
Pycnogenol strengthens veins and reduces fluid leakage
Pycnogenol contributes in two from one another independent ways to prevent and diminish fluid accumulation in tissue.
Pycnogenol strengthens capillary walls and makes them more resistant against pressure with consequently lowered release of fluids into tissues.
Further to the strengthening of blood vessel walls, Pycnogenol also improves endothelial function with enhanced nitric oxide synthesis, which in turn releases blood vessel constriction.
Other vein health benefits covered in the report:
- Pycnogenol helps healthy people to prevent swellings.
- Pycnogenol is more effective for improving leg swellings than compression stockings.
- Pycnogenol accelerates healing of venous ulcers, a typical complication of chronic venous insufficiency.
- Pycnogenol restores dermal (relating to the skin) blood perfusion (the passage of fluid through blood vessels to an organ or a tissue) of lower legs and feet.
Source: Horphag Research. Arborvitae – Pycnogenol®, Arborvitae and Health Supplements